Tuesday 21 April 2009

Keeping my head above water


Exams are looming. This means making ingenious, feasible, creative tasks that will make my best students shine and my poorest students see hope. The written exam includes translation (naval English!) and an essay, the oral exam a listening test (new this year! I am a keen customer of BBC newspods at the moment) and conversation on topics from the curriculum.

Luckily I have two colleagues to share this with - cooperation is a Good Thing. What I struggle with now is to come up with an essay question that ideally involves a new angle on a book we read; One Hundred Days (written by Adm. Woodward, the UK task force commander in the Falklands War). Not very easily done, as we have used this book for a number of years, and pretty much exhausted all possibilities. Tweaking an old exam question should be possible, but what to choose? Leadership? Tactics? Politics?

Apart from exam ponderings, I try to juggle all events on the home front. Not easily done either, as it suddenly dawned on me that we are to look after the neighbours' two kids three days next week. This was agreed a long time ago, but I omitted to fill it in on our "booking calendar" (aka b.k.), where all activities are displayed, and then promptly forgot the whole thing. In the meantime, we have of course filled the b.k. with other activities: a house guest, extra teaching early in the morning, hubby will speak at an evening seminar (which means yours truly is in charge of four kids, evening meal, and bed that evening, I'm exhausted already), and a gentlemen's wine&dine evening. Great.
What worries me a bit is this complete dependency on writing things down (preferably on the b.k.) in order to remember them. One of my colleagues claims never to have written down any appointments or activities in his life. How does he do that (he is a mathematician and obviously equipped with a different sort of brain from mine) - I suspect that he lets his wife remember things and relies on her to remind him. Hah!
Anyway - too much to do, and too good weather outside. Birds chirping, trees sprouting tender green leaves, nice temperature, no rain. What am I doing inside. Oh, that's right. Making exam questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment